Friday, September 2, 2011

A Vintage Gallery Wall


I like gallery walls. I really enjoy putting a big pile of things that I love on the floor and then playing until something beautiful happens. Hubby the Great wasn't a fan of the idea of a gallery wall when I first ran it by him, but I think I finally made a believer out of him. One thing I've learned about a gallery wall is this.... it doesn't have to be matchy matchy, it doesn't have to be themed, and it doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be made out of things you love.
I submit for your viewing... Exhibit A...

See that cross on the right? That was in my room when I was 5. The blue picture on the left was stitched 8 years before I was born by my mom and hung in my big sisters nursery. My mom worked right around the corner from that building on the bottom right in Charleston, SC when my parents first got married and my dad was away on submarines in the Navy. That green "M" was painted by one of my best friends and college roommate. The picture of the ladies in the top left has this written on the back "Mom, I found this picture at an antique store in Benton, VA and thought of you. They are from a magazine published in 1890! Merry Christmas!" to my grandmother in 1983.


They don't all go together and I certainly didn't get them all at the same time. But that wall makes me happy because it represents so many things that I love about my life and home. Those pictures were all in a box and could have stayed that way, but I decided to take a risk and put them together. I think it made magic and it's probably my favorite wall in my house.
Do you have a pile of discarded pictures or perhaps a secret love of 70's cross-stitch? Take a chance, or at least take a stroll through the pictures at goodwill. You might be glad you did!

Love, Katie

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I never would have thought of all of those things together, but you made it look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments- they really make my day :o) Please let me know you are here because I would love to come back and visit you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...